Sunday, October 15, 2006

Rochambeau Rubbles

Why would I concern on Rochambeau apartment being demolished? Maybe I wouldn’t, just like any other foreigner living in foreign country. But I could write something about it, since I had lived there for over a year. You might read all historic backgrounds on this 100 year old building in many sites, which carry nostalgic handsome picture about the past, but living in it is a different delightful story.  
 
We started living there on October 2003 in a one bedroom apartment, simply chosen while we’re still in our home country, with a help from a friend who already lived there. The prime reason was its location, which allowed my husband to spend 10 minutes walk to his office in Wachovia Building. We could save a lot since he would go home for lunch and we did all our activities in downtown Baltimore. Our apartment facing Franklin Street in fifth floor was appropriate; I always tried to make it clean and tidy. Moreover, we hadn’t had a car yet so it was so comfy for us to just walk out the door and roam around the city, the way of life that I love.  
 
Did I actually love living in this building? I didn’t have much complaints other than dog-pee smell –every so often beer spills- in the elevator; a deafening drill sound from the street construction below; a sleepy drunk on front door steps; a banging door in the dark stair. Oh yes, and other creature living with us in winter: itsy bitsy tiny mice. That’s the one thing I love to hate the most.  
 
Otherwise, I love the straight view from living room window: an angel relief on the roof wall of church across the street, watching the ever bustling Charles and Franklin Street junction below. I love to take Damian to Mount Vernon Park; petting some dogs and watching fountains, with bonus once-a-year fireworks from our windows. I love going to Enoch Pratt Library, two times a week for the kid, and being an early bird in its annual book sale. We saw all kinds of parade from the best place; went to Walters Museum exactly in 2-hour free admission; I just walked across the street to Beadazzled and started making jewelries. I love walking to Baltimore Basilica if I needed to whisper a pray; further to Lexington Market for a few piece of doughnuts or fresh veggies; even further to Inner Harbor, and Federal Hill at the furthest. We didn’t miss all kind of restaurants along Charles Street; we merely believe my home-cooked meal still tastes better. I thought it was the healthiest time of my life ever since I finished school.  
 
We seldom met our neighbors, but it’s a good mix of students, single moms, old folks, all kind of workers, and I particularly remember a man who loved to wear his kilt –sometimes along a bagpipe. By October 2004 there was only a couple of tenants lived in the building, I think we moved out at the same week before it would be emptied in November. The front door was already broken, other than tenants used the laundry room as well. Me and my husband felt relieve when we finally moved out though we also miss all the conveniences we had.  
 
A couple of weeks ago, this old building was being demolished by Archdiocese Of Baltimore -the owner of the property. When I saw a great piece of Rochambeau fallen apart, my mind was wandering on those old days we had lived there. A short one year compare to one hundred ages it had. As me and my husband had backgrounds in architecture, we could not avoid talking about preservationist versus religions, maybe politics involved. A few local things we did not comprehend as foreigners. Why not demolish the rigid parking garage right beside it instead. We agree that this prime location in a city was best used as a residential/commercial. Other than its historic value, modestly it’s because we experienced living there. With a way of life that was not only belong to particular people, just for Baltimore City residents.  
 
Further reads: Rochambeau short history (pic taken here), Articles in Baltimore Sun, and Opinion in Urbanite.

4 drops:

Anonymous said...

baca deskripsi gedungnya jd inget film-film detektif yg jagoannya mesti ke tempat-tempat itu utk nyari saksi mata atau informan. Trus ada lolongan sirene mobil sejam sekali ...;) *oops, itu NY ya? :D

--durin--

neenoy said...

oh itu toh sebabnya pindahan :)

Anonymous said...

Aku juga kalo lewat situ selalu inget masa2 kita janjian ketemu di depan gereja pas mo pergi2. Pas celana jinsku robek dan aku menculik dirimu dan Damian ke harbour mall. Good old times =)

dy said...

Eh, mirip2 kok, NY pinggiran tp. Mmg sirene jg srg bgt melolong :)
Iya Noy, alasan pindah yg dl pertama kali.
Arti, Iya id inget that good ol' times, awal2 berhubungan dgn balto, hehehe :)