Friday, May 14, 2004

A Place Full of Idea

When you ask people here about something, even the smallest bit, they usually have an answer. Not the right or the wrong one, but mainly of their opinion. It is very important for them to speak their idea, referring to John Locke*,who defines “idea” as “whatever is the object of understanding when a man thinks”.


This thought grabbed my mind when some stranger on the bus asked me where I came from (obviously I don’t look like anyone he ever knew) which led us to some conversation. After he knew I came from Indonesia, he started to talk about Soekarno and Soeharto, which really surprised me. When I asked him how he knew that much, he said that he grew up in a time when people did care about political matters not only in the US, but also in the world. Looking at him I realized he must have lived even before World War II -also might have joined the Vietnam War- and that explained a lot.

He took over the conversation mainly because I couldn’t really heard what he said (the bus drove noisily), and I refused to argue a 70-something old man even though I knew some of them were not the real facts. And he was really all confident when he talked. At last, right before he got off the bus he gave his website address concerning his views on politics and authority and sort of things. I never thought that somebody who would’ve retired in my home country, riding on a bus and looked really ordinary, would still care so much about things that happens, and moreover, he still speaks his mind through a website!

*****

Some other time, a middle-aged man behind me in a line at a fast food restaurant asked me, “Do you know that people now have problems with their faith? Some of them might not have any religion, but the worst thing is some even blame the religion as the root of mankind’s problem. What do you think about this?” I was busy calming Damian who noisily pointing at balloons and pictures, and this question just did not meet my mind then. Although the topic might interest me in a right moment, I remember said,” Well, I don’t think I ever put my thoughts on that before,” just to stop the conversation. It was a wrong answer.

First of all, if you do not want to be disturbed, you should say,” I’m kinda busy right now, I don’t have time to talk about it.” Second of all, if somebody asks about something you’d better have some real answer other than “I don’t know”. My answer just opened the path for him to explain his own answer about the things he asked. Luckily, I came to the front line to order and that saved me from whatever he says. Well, I think I was raised not to refuse something straight to the point and that would put me in trouble here. And I grew up and went to school where I should think twice before I told my opinion (and it better be right!). Note this: people here will think you are more stupid if you don’t have any idea compare to someone who has a wrong one.

*****

Last but not least, whenever I go to Damian’s playgroup, I notice some words that most mothers use to tell their kids when the kids were doing something they should not. “Honey (or Sweetie), I don’t think it’s a good idea to do this…(or that)”. They just never tell it was wrong, or right.

Then, I know why it is such a place full of idea. I know why, despite media exploitation and bussines profits, William Hung has become another idea of American Idol. I know why this place has problems to control their own ideas. But sometimes, this place is just too full of ideas it barely wants to hear others…

*****

*John Locke (August 29 1632 - October 28 1704) was an English Enlightenment philosopher whose notions of government with the consent of the governed and the natural rights of man (life, liberty, and property) had an enormous influence on colonial Americans, allowing them to justify revolution and shape a new government.

1 drops:

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »